6700 21st Street, CA, 95822 ▪ (916) 761-2250
Goal: Assistant Information Officer.
Bachelor of Arts, English — California State University, Sacramento: 2008
Sacramento City College – pursued AA in Journalism: 2010 – 2012
Tax Technician – Office of Public Affairs, Board of Equalization 2013-14:
- Wrote content for media resources website, drafted news releases, and edited copy. Assisted in compiling daily news clips for agency distribution. Screened phone calls from media, public, and Board Member offices. Fulfilled Board Member office requests. Maintained press release email lists, media call list, and agency news list. Researched and edited fact sheets and media advisories. Made pitch calls to Chinese media. Assisted during news conferences. Used Adobe to archive thousands of agency-mentioned news articles in PDF files. Clerical tasks include ordering office supplies and organizing department budget. Produce invoices for Contracts and Acquisitions.
Reporter, Freelance Capitol Weekly at www.Capitolweekly.net 2012-13
- Researched and wrote content for online political newspaper covering California Legislature. Recorded interviews and researched interview subjects. Fact-checked stories and background information. Met deadlines in time-sensitive environment. Coordinated with editor for ongoing stories. Used mathematical and statistical data to better clarify and support articles. Monitored news coming out of the legislature related to new laws, new taxes, and new policies that would affect Californians. Used Capitol Weekly’s social media platform, Facebook and Twitter, to circulate stories.
Sacramento News and Review Editorial Intern – Spring 2012
Sacramento City College: The Express Online Editor in Chief – Fall 2011
Sacramento Press at http://www.Sacramentopress.com Editorial Intern – May 2011 – Sept. 2011
Sacramento City College: http://www.SacCityExpress.com Online News Editor – Spring 2011
- Developed story ideas and assigned them to staff writers, edited copy in accordance with AP style, fact-checked stories, prepared news copy for page designers, attended twice-weekly editorial board meetings, proofreader, wrote headlines, uploaded content onto Saccityexpress.com.
Mainline Magazine Staff Writer – Spring 2012
- Conducted in-depth interviews, wrote with emphasis for magazine publication, researched background information, fact-checked, pitched story ideas.
Sacramento City College: The Express Staff Writer/Reporter – Fall 2010
- Wrote hard news and feature articles for print and online, researched background for stories, conducted news beats and wrote beat reports, interviewed sources for podcasts and multimedia related projects, uploaded copy and photos onto WordPress, wrote web shell articles.
Tools: MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Smartsheet, Vocus, Meltwater, Adobe, Google Drive, Open Office, and WordPress. Use social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn to market stories. Bilingual – can speak and translate conversational Cantonese.
Honors 2007 Bazzanella Literary Award – from Sacramento State
References May be furnished upon request